Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mixing It Up - Homemade Baking Mixes

I love the convenience of mixes when I'm cooking but I don't always like the strange unpronounceable ingredients in some of the mixes I find in the store! So I often make my own mixes. These are just as convenient as bought mixes but less expensive and I know whats in them. 

Here are a few of my favorite mixes.

This was the first biscuit mix I tried and I really liked it






I've also found another biscuit mix - Homemade Baking Mix - that I really like and that uses butter instead of vegetable oil. I sometimes replace a cup or so of all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour as well.

An option I haven't tried yet but will soon is Homemade Baking Mix - Healthified

Another mix I'm glad I found is homemade Cornbread Mix. We love cornbread and it is so nice to have this handy mix available.

Here is the cornbread mix recipe I use.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

To make cornbread

1 cup cornbread mix
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Mix ingredients together, pour into pan or muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees F. for 15-17 minutes.

LINKING HERE
SUNDAY - Sunday FeaturesSunday's Best FRIDAY - Friendship Friday, From the Farm, Inspiration Gallery, Fellowship Friday




No comments:

Post a Comment