Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Day 2015 - The Walnut Acre Daily

WORDS TO LIVE BY

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

WORKING, LEARNING AND PLAYING TOGETHER

I have been working on new schedules and routines the last few weeks as we approached the new year. It seems like each time I have a good routine in place our lives change and new routines are needed but I've come to see that this simply means we are growing and changing.

Two things I'm using to help us stay on track are a set of household chore charts with weekly, monthly, quarterly and twice a year jobs on them. This makes it easier for me to see exactly what needs to be done and to plan my work and give work assignments. It's also fun to see the work get marked off with highlighters as it's finished. The other thing I'm using is a large wall calendar on the kitchen wall where everyone can easily see it. This is for appointments, activities and whatever else is going on that we all need to be aware of.



It was cold outside today but the kids still wanted to go out and play.


Watching a movie


Doug was home today. He started his day at home by washing dishes. Thank you, Doug. He also went over the diagrams for the steam engine model my dad gave him. 





Books and Resources


 I finished listening to this book on Librovox today. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and was sad for it to come to an end.

 I started listening to the audio version of this book today, also on Librovox. I haven't gotten very far in this book yet so I haven't really formed an opinion of it yet.




 Michael and Mateah really enjoyed this movie today. I thought it was a little too advanced for them but even though they probably didn't understand all of it they watched the whole thing.

IN THE KITCHEN


I let the kids make their own mini cheese pizzas for lunch this afternoon. We used English muffins as the crusts. 



FURRY, FEATHERED AND FOUR FOOTED FRIENDS

We have collected quite a menagerie of animals since I last posted and I want to introduce them to you. Some of them have appeared here before but others are new. 

Our two dogs Veronica (Ronni)


And Pepper (I didn't get a photo of her today).

One cat, Sheena, and three kittens named Bear, Puppy and Monkey.





Fourteen chickens.





Nine rabbits.




One pig.




Two guinea pigs.




One tarantula. This is Amanda's and stays in her room in its habitat. It eats crickets and is not poisonous. It's name is Abra but Amanda calls it Abby most of the time.




Two betas. The Betas are mine and I'm planning to get four more - one for each little shelf beside my kitchen window over the sink.





ON MY MIND

It's hard to believe it's the beginning of a new year again but I'm excited to see what this year will bring.

OTHER


Usually on Thursday evenings I cook dinner for both my family and my sister's family. Then on Friday evenings my sister cooks for both families. Somehow today I completely forgot. I guess because of schedules changing over the holidays I was mixed up. I remembered just as we were finishing our dinner and I only remembered then because my niece texted me about something else. Oops!

TODAY'S QUOTE

We will open the book. It's pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and it's first chapter is New Year's Day. - Edith Lovejoy Pierce





1 comment:

  1. Wow! So nice to read an update. You are very busy.. you have yourself a good guy.

    ReplyDelete