Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Changing Myself



“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV


God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, variation of an excerpt from "The Serenity Prayer" by Reinhold Neibuhr

I am big proponent of change and progress - especially if it's in others. But it's a lot harder to get behind the very same change and progress if it's being called for from me. I like my comfortable way of thought and patterns of behavior. But 2Peter 1:5-8 is not a call for me to change someone else to become more like this, but, with God's help, to work on my own way of thinking and acting.

When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself. ~Louis Nizer

No comments:

Post a Comment