Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Walnut Acre Yard and Garden

 I have been trying all day long to get this post up. After many interruptions and mistakes (like accidentally deleting photos) it's finally finished.
The plants I started in pots and flats are growing pretty well. These include Basil, gourds, cucumbers, pink and blue morning glories, okra, and corn. There are also sunflowers but they  aren't doing to well for me. The two that had sprouted died on me the one day I didn't get them watered. Oops! But there is another sprout starting to show so maybe there's still hope.


  Since the first area Doug tilled up for me is pretty much full, Doug tilled a second area for me to put the batch of plants in. I'm hoping to plant some of the corn this evening.


The corn we planted earlier is doing well. A couple stalks looks like someone ran over them. I'm not sure if they will make it or not.


The few peas we planted look pitiful!


The four rows of green beans are doing very well.


The next four rows are from left to right are black-eyed peas, black bush beans and two rows of pinto beans. They are doing very well too.


Two of the tomato plants have blooms and a couple of the pepper plants will soon have blooms opening.


The zucchini, cantaloupe, cucumber and watermelon plants are doing well.


This zucchini has three blooms.


I don't think I've posted before about the grape vines. There are just a couple vines here when we moved in and I didn't think they looked very healthy. But this spring they bloomed really well and soon after there were the beginnings of some nice bunches of grapes. Then the beetles came. They weren't Japanese Beetles or June bugs, but little greenish yellowish beetles. The kids loved them and I even thought they were kind of cute. Until I walked out and looked at the grapes and discovered they were covered with these beetles. Then they suddenly weren't so cute anymore! So this is what is left of those beautiful bunches of grapes.



After I took pictures in the garden and of the grapes this morning, I found myself walking around our yard and dreaming of all the things I eventually want to do here. At the moment it is mostly just yard and trees. And I love it. But in my mind's eye I also see lots of possibilities. I see flower beds and tire swings and sandboxes. I see a gazebo. I see little corners to make fun playspaces as well as resting places. I know it will take time but I'm looking forward to creating a special place here on our little acre.







This area here I call the wasteland. At one time there was an inground pool here. Now there is just lots of rocks and even a lot of concrete pieces. It's hard to mow and hard to do anything with. I'm hoping to somehow put a chicken coop in this area. We have a little fire pit back here for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.


This is my favorite of the pictures I took this morning.


I hope you enjoyed this little tour of Walnut Acre.

~ Linking Here ~

~  And Here ~

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely place. I'm impressed by everything but especially the grapes. I truly enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is lovely. Keep at your dreams and one day you will have everything you are seeing in your minds eye today.
    Happy day to you and yours
    hugs from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. You home and property are beautiful.
    I'm so taken with the views and your
    beautiful trees. I want to run barefoot and take in the fresh air.

    How lucky to grow fresh food on your land. Can I be your neighbor? he he
    I won't eat to much. lol

    Dee-city girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely piece of land you have there...the views are simply breathtaking and it looks like you will have a bountiful harvest come fall this year...thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded and i hope you'll be back next week for the block party!

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful home and property. It's the kind I want to have one day. Can I move in with you? Hehe!

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you will have quite the bounty come harvest time! Walnut Acre sounds heavenly... even though our property is tiny in comparison, I too love to dream of the possibilities. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like your garden is doing great your home is a picture perfect and looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walnut Acres is a lovely place to visit. I enjoyed the tour. I actually felt like I could reach up and pick a grape. Thank you for sharing "home" with us.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a quick note to say that I've featured this today at Recognition Day Thursday. Please feel free to grab the feature button on my sidebar :) Thanks for linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete