Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Laughing at God? Or Laughing With Him?


I'm sitting outside this morning, enjoying the coolness of the day before the heat that I know is coming. I have my laptop with me and just read Genesis 17 online.

This chapter talks about God coming to Abraham and making a covenant with him. Also in this chapter God promises Abraham and Sarah a son. And Abraham laughs. I'm always struck when I read this chapter at the audacity of Abraham laughing at God. And immediately after I laugh at Abraham for laughing at God, I'm brought up short by the realization that I am way to often guilty of the same type of reaction.

God says He will supply all my needs (Philippians 4:19). Yet I worry. Not as much as I used to but I still find myself slipping back into worry sometimes.

God says nothing is impossible with Him (Luke 1:37). Yet all too often I live in a realm of self imposed limitations.

We know that Abraham and Sarah did have a son. And I'm sure that they were once again laughing. But this time it was with the joy in the awesome work of God. And I'm sure God was laughing with them. Because He takes joy in the joy of His people.

I would much rather be laughing with God than at Him.

Wouldn't you?

~ Linking Here ~
Living Well Wednesdays
Titus 2sdays

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie it was Sarah who laughs not Abraham. in fact the name Issac means "laughs at God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah did laugh at God but in Genesis 17:17 is also says that Abraham fell facedown and laughed (my paraphrase). And then he asked God if couldn't simply fill his promise through Ishmael. :-)

    ReplyDelete